Biggest news in the Filipino community in Toronto is Prime Minister Stephen Harper's visit to the Philippines aimed at getting Canada's foot in the door of a country forecast to be a "star' economic performer, as reported by the Toronto Star.
Interesting talking points that led to this visit:
- HSBC says that the Philippines is poised to become the 16th largest economy by 2050
- The Philippine economy is growing at a pace second only to China and is predicted to grow by an average of 7 per cent over the next 40 years.
- The Philippines has the largest source country of immigrants totaling 600,000 all over Canada
- Tagalog is the fastest-growing language in Canada
- Filipinos are hard working and integrate well.