Conscientious people live longer. Why?
1. They tend to live healthier lifestyles, to not smoke or drink to excess, they always wear seat belts, follow doctor’s orders and take medication as prescribed.
2. They tend to find themselves not only in healthier situations but also in healthier relationships: happier marriages, better friendships, healthier work situations.
3. Some people are biologically predisposed to be not only more conscientious but also healthier. “Not only do they tend to avoid violent deaths and illnesses linked to smoking and drinking but they are also less prone to a whole host of diseases, not just those caused by dangerous habit”.
Dr. Friedman, in his book the “Longevity Project” believes that the precise physiological explanation is unknown but seems to have to do with the levels of chemicals like serotonin in the brain.
Other factors discussed in the book are:
- Exercise: extreme exercise is not a predictable indicator of longevity
- Stress: spend time working on a job that you like
- Marriage: interesting to note that that it was the man’s happiness that was the better predictor of health and well-being - for both the husband and the wife. Her own happiness mattered much less to her future well-being. So NO TRUTH to the saying “Happy Wife = Happy Life” but “Happy Hubby = Lovey Dovey”
AND THE SINGLE STRONGEST PREDICTOR OF A LONG LIFE? A STRONG SOCIAL NETWORK AND WOMEN’S TEND TO BE STRONGER…